Resources Related to Child Abuse
The resources for reading listed below are those the Child Guardians have found useful in raising awareness of the issues related to child abuse and child neglect.
1. On-Line Training about Child Abuse
- Can you devote 12 minutes to better understand the world of abuse and neglect? Watch this short video: Removed (HTTP://VIMEO.COM/HESCHLE/)
- Center for Child Welfare – on-line training videos, publications, web resources, policies, and more.
2. Educational Pamphlets:AbuseWatch.net Educational Brochures
- How to protect your child from sexual abuse
- Child sexual abuse explained
- Physical child abuse warning signs
- The four types of child abuse
3. Statistics: Kids Count Data Center – the outcomes of maltreatment
- Kids Count Data Center provides the latest information for national and state level statistics relevant to child well-being, including child maltreatment.
- 2014 Florida Kids Count Data Profile
4. WEB SITES with High-Interest Topics Related to Maltreatment
- Florida’s Center for the Advancement of Child Welfare Practice
- Florida Kids Count Report (Statistics related to child welfare in Florida)
- National Center for Child Welfare (Statistics related child welfare by State)
- Ounce of Prevention
- National Network for Youth
- Florida Network of Youth Services
- Florida State Foster Care/Adoption Parent Association
- Help Guide – Harvard Medical School’s comprehensive guide to mental, emotional and social health
5. Local (NW Florida) Resource Listings
List of Local Human Service Resources for our Four-county Area :(Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, and Walton Counties, Florida)
- Street Survival Guide (This is the latest version of local resources for Escambia and Santa Rosa Counties, Florida, collated by the EscaRosa Homeless Coalition. (Choose the Help & Resources Tab)
- Local Help in Okaloosa and Walton Counties
- One Harvest – High-Quality Food Boxes (no income qualifications – available to public by ordering on website)
6. State Resources: Adoption in Florida
- Adopt Florida – A Comprehensive Guide to Adoption Including Local Resources and Agencies
- How to Foster or Adopt/ getting approved- a general guide
7. Policy Resources for Transitioning Youth from Foster Care
- Transitioning Youth (Annie E. Casey Foundation)
- Child Information Gateway
- Aging out of Foster Care – the Cost of Doing Nothing
8. Academic Resources for Parents/Caregivers and Volunteers
- 100 tips for Parents and Caregivers
- Summer Reading Activity Kit
- Family Fun Reading Activities
- The Khan Academy – on-line tutoring source (FREE ON-LINE TUTORING) on a wide variety of topics for children and adults)
- Family Fun Reading Activities (Reading activities for all ages from the Florida Department of Education)
- The Online Learning Guidebook An On-line Learning Guide to help students of all ages learn more effectively online. The guide looks at Khan Academy, Coursera and MIT Open Courseware specifically, and includes advice and keys to success from a panel of online learning experts. You can view the on-line resource on the website.
- Eight Tips for Deduction Charitable Donations
- Understanding and Preventing Suicide Among Students (Student Guidebook)
- National Housing Coalition – How much do you have to earn to afford modest housing in your state.
- https://findyourcontext.education – According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, a person with a bachelor’s degree earns $459 more per week on average than a person with a high school diploma. Those with master’s degrees earn $663 more per week on average than a person with a high school diploma. The right online degree can be your catalyst for upward mobility and the earning power that comes with it. This FREE website walks you through the process of selecting an on-line degree program that meets your needs.
9. Substance Abuse Issues
- What are Symptoms of an Alcohol Use Disorder?
- Bipolar and Addiction: The Dual Diagnosis
- Parental Instinct: Identifying and Stopping Opioid Abuse in Adult Children
- PTSD and Substance Abuse in Veterans
- Stronger Than Ever: A Counseling Guide for the LGBTQ Community
- The Ninth Step Guide: Making Amends
- Enabling 101: How Love Becomes Fear and Help Becomes Control
- Teen Alcohol and Drug Abuse
- 12 Ways to Help a Teen Handle the Emotional Challenges of Moving
- How to Forgive an Addict